Tess's practice focuses on immigration law.
Tess represents individuals and employers throughout all stages of the U.S. immigration process. Her practice includes family- and employment-based petitions, removal defense, naturalization, federal litigation, and crimmigration. She has worked exclusively in immigration over the past seven years and she is passionate about using this experience to be a strong advocate for immigrants.
Prior to joining MacDonald Hoague & Bayless in 2019, Tess worked for the United States Department of Justice, as an Honors Program attorney-advisor at the Los Angeles Immigration Court. In this role, she was responsible for conducting research, drafting opinions, and advising immigration judges. She authored court-wide legal memos on implications of new case law and trained the judges on criminal immigration issues. While in law school, Tess worked at a law firm where she gained experience litigating immigration claims in federal court. Prior to law school, Tess worked as a paralegal at an immigration law firm where she frequently prepared employment-based petitions for universities, start-ups, scientists, and scholars.
In her free time, Tess enjoys playing soccer, perfecting new salad dressing recipes, and exploring the Pacific Northwest with her husband and Australian cattle dog.
Practice Emphasis & Experience:
- Employment- and family-based immigrant and non-immigrant visas
- Removal Defense
- Federal Immigration Litigation
- Hardship Waivers
- National Interest Waivers
- Outstanding Researcher Petitions
- Pepperdine University School of Law, magna cum laude, J.D. 2017
- Scripps College, cum laude, B.A., 2011
Honors & Awards:
- CALI Excellence for the Future Awards in: Immigration; Financing for High Tech Startups; American Legal History; Real Estate Finance; and Property.
- Disrupting Immigration: How Administrative Rulemaking Could Change the Landscape for Immigrant Entrepreneurs, 44 Pepp. L. Rev. 199 (2016).
Professional and Civic Involvement:
- American Immigration Lawyers Association