New Immigration Regulation Allow Work Permits For Certain H-1B Spouses

Posted by MHB Admin

MH&B immigration attorney Ester Greenfield was interviewed on KUOW public radio on February 25, 2015, to explain the new federal regulation allowing certain spouses of H-1B workers to apply for work permits. Under the new rule, spouses of H-1B employees may apply for an employment authorization document (EAD) if the employer has taken significant steps to sponsor the H-1B employee for a green card.  The H-1B employee must be the beneficiary of an approved I-140 immigrant visa petition.  Spouses will also be eligible to apply for an EAD if the H-1B employee received an “AC-21” extension of H-1B status beyond the normal six-year time limit.  This extension is only available if the employer filed a PERM labor certification application before the end of the fifth year of H-1B status.   The new rule goes into effect in late May, 2015 and will help many in Washington State.  H-1B visas are available to a limited number of specialty occupation workers, often in tech industries, and their spouses were not previously allowed to work.

Advancing Justice, Freedom, Equality & Opportunity.

Since 1952, we have been helping individual and corporate clients navigate immigration laws and fight for their civil rights and liberties. We look forward to working with you.

View Practice Areas